Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Daniel Fast Day 1

Daniel 10:2-3 (NIV) 2 At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. 3 I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over. Today is the beginning of Lent, and for the past few years I have been trying to give something up for Lent. This year I have been focusing on the spiritual disciplines in my preaching/teaching and in my personal devotional life. I have set some incredible goals for this year. I am currently on track to read the bible through in 90 days. It's been a struggle but I am on track thanks to Youversion. Last year a colleague in ministry brought my attention to the Daniel Fast. I followed his progress and this year with the Holy Spirit's leading I committed to go on a Daniel Fast. Simply put this is the same way that Daniel ate. There is no meat, meat products, dairy, sweets, or bread products. I will be eating fruits, vegtable's, juices and water. I am not going through this fast for health reasons, but I understand there are some benefits. I am going through this to draw closer to God and spend time reading and praying. I will be pulling away from technology for extended periods of time, and spending time with God. This morning as I contemplated this fast, and wanting to see specific things happen in the church I pastor, I told God that I wanted to see Him do something in the life of this church. He has begun to answer this prayer already. Along with prayer and fasting I am going to do some writing on a project that has been on my heart a long time. (More on that later). Today's intake of food consisted of: Breakfast: Coffee, no cream no surgar (I know its probably not on a strict Daniel fast plan, but I only had 1 cup, versus 4-6 each day) Lunch: Apple, Steamed Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots and V-8 juice. Dinner: Mediterannian Black Bean Salad, (green peppers, onion, black bean, tomato, tossed with olive oil, garlic, and lime juice, on a bed of lettuce. Snack: Popcorn, no butter, and v8 juice. It's not been too hard today but I expect some struggles. I am however looking forward to the fast and what God has in store. Keep checking this blog for daily evening updates. I may post recipe's if I find something extremely good. Each day I will post a thought about I sense God has said to me that day. Nate

No comments: