Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Sabbatical Day 7

Made plans last night to go to church today. I woke to the alarm and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and found my eye matted and my throat sore. (I was holding sick child the day before, and she shared her food and illness with me. She also shared the illness with everyone in the house.) So trying to decide what to do about church, and wondering what to do. I was taught or maybe it was more like one repeated guilt trip, when I was younger that you should always be in church on sunday. As a pastor, I even have encouraged and told people to be in church. Here I am as a pastor and what do i do? DO I go to church, not knowing if I was contagious would this be the best thing to do? Then the Holy Spirit spoke to me from a passage in Mark 6. The disciples had been busy and lots of things were happening and they were not able to eat. Here is the scripture: Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest". Mark 6:31 The thought occurred to me that in the busyness of doing I have failed to take time to spend time with Jesus, because I have been busy doing stuff for Jesus. Here is what I needed to do on this sunday, get away and spend time with Jesus. Instead of doing today, or going, it was time to stay right where I was and spend time with Jesus. I did just, read some scripture and spent time reading. Relaxed in a chair with a blanket and visited.

No comments: