Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sabbatical Day 4

Well day 4 of the sabbatical and I had made some plans to get up early and travel some more heading to our destination. However, during the night some how my phone became unplugged and the battery was dead, so our waking up and hitting the day suffered a set back. (My son, and traveling companion Alec, must have not fully plugged the phone in after watching a movie on netflix. (I still am one with an unlimited data plan with verizon, so they are going to get a shocker this month.) The later time of waking up was not a serious error, as I realized I have no agenda for the next several weeks, so the extra rest was welcome. I went down to retrieve my bathroom bag from the car, and was shocked to find out it was 17 degrees. Brr, I had to warm up the toothpaste and other things needed for my day in hot water. I enjoyed a fresh hot cup of coffee and it was nice not having to make it. Alec and I enjoyed a nice light breakfast in the hotel lobby, where yogurt and oatmeal were on the menu along with a good passage from 2 Kings 4, where the Shunammite woman gave Elisha a place to stay and then later he raised the lady's deceased child back to life. (Much more on that later, there is much from that passage.) After breakfast we then packed the car for the next leg of the journey. We made a stop in a thrift store looking for winter coats and snow pants or a snow suit for Alec, and struck out. So we headed out on the highway had a great time of discussion about life and the future. He took my phone and began to watch another netflix movie, while i drove, i listened to the GPS to direct my way. Going through some hilly country the GPS kept loosing signal, and the gps cwas continually flashing: GPS SIGNAL LOST. This could have been a real problem if had let it, but when I travel I always make sure I have studied the map or routed the trip on Google Maps, just in case. I never fully rely on technology to guide. As I was thinking about the lost GPS signal, the Holy Spirit impressed on me that at times we come too dependent on circumstances, other people, the latest book or fad to direct us where we are headed just like we become dependent on the GPS or technology to guide us. The problem arises that those things only go far, and times do not address where we at or they just are not strong enough to take us through the journey we are on at the moment. When they drop signal or don't currently address where we are at we begin to panic, mostly out of fear because we don't know where we are headed or the latest thing cannot guide us through. Then the Holy Spirit whispered: If you stay in the word and stay close to God, then you don't need anything else, because then the "I am that I am" will be guiding and being in the word keeps your course charted correctly. (Now i am not down playing good books that help, or listening to the wise teachers, but don't substitute them for being in the WORD.) I became relaxed at that moment because at this time, (A desert type experience for me at the moment, more on that later), if I draw close to God and get close, and stay close I then don't have to get nervous or upset because the path I am traveling is one plotted out by God himself. I find it quite relaxing to know that if I lose touch with the latest writings and teaching I wont get lost, but rather find myself right where God has planned. We arrived at our agreed destination for that part of the day. Spent time visiting attempted another Goodwill for snow pants, or heavy winter coat, but struck out. (I did pick up another Targus laptop bag, brand new with tags, and paid 1/5 of the price for the same item in Walmart. Made a stop for some food at a restaurant that serves square 2" X 2" hamburgers and hit walmart for possible snow pants but struck out. Thermal underwear was discovered, and purchased. We then went back and spent more time visiting. We then decided it was time to head a little further north and hit the road. Not having any time schedule or agenda we discussed if we should stay the night in a cabin or spend the extra money and stay at motel. The choice was obvious, the cabin had no bathroom, that required us to go out and go to another building for restroom and shower facilities, or a motel with full facilities. We made our decision and decided to stay at a motel. Well some would not say this is a motel. This motel is located on a hill, and its like one you see in old movies or would resemble one that could be found on Route 66. All the rooms are located on one level, and have outside entrances. This place is dated, the outside looks like it was built in the late 50's and the inside of the rooms are reminiscent of the 70's paneling and all. There is no indoor pool, no fancy vending machines and no breakfast in the lobby, and you park your car right outside of your room. The keys to the rooms are not the fancy keycard swipe type, but are actual keys, the kind you put in the lock and turn the knob. Alec, my traveling companion and son, says the motel looks likes a place where a murder happened. I think this place looks like it could be used in a B horror film, and I wonder if Norman Bates may be lurking somewhere close. I will post a picture later. The plus side its warm, has inside attached bathrooms, cable and wifi, so we have the right frills, and a unique experience to remember and tell stories about a few years down the road. As i write this the temp is 27 and the forecast calls for low of 22. In the morning we try again for snow pants and then head to the slopes. Yes there will be pictures but don't worry no ski's on these feet. Just in case your wondering I am being vague on purpose when i mention our location, what we are doing and our destinations. My sabbatical is for disconnecting from certain things and reconnecting with the important things of life. If I let out where we are, I don't want to offend anyone by not being able to meet or spend time together. I will post at the end of each time leg of the sabbatical where I/we have been. Feel free to comment or email about anything you read in this blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your posts here on your blog, I don't use a GPS, on land. I do use one on the Big-O for navigation and marking hot fishing spots. Have had a few city ppl get lost when trying to use one up here in our neck of the woods. Yep his Word is the only GPS we need!! Of course I'm lacking in that area. On your location, when ya start talking about below zero, I'll know your close to Northern NYS. But were expecting a warm up here this week in the 20s :) Take Care Stay Safe Bro!

Lew A

Anonymous said...

:)
Larry